What you should require from your website developers:
- Have a CMS (content management system) where YOU can log in and update your content on a regular basis without having to pay your development company for the changes.
- Have SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) features programmed in by your website development company
- Feature links to your social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Blog etc…)
- Allow viewers to comment or at least Like, Tweet or Google + an article or information on the site
- Be logical. Don’t overwhelm the user with too much information spread out across the site in random places. Try to organize your information into logical blocks. (This is best done by a professional website content writer… see next point)
- Value your content. After paying for a functional, visually appealing website, don’t devalue it with mediocre content. You might be great at your own job, but you might not be a great writer. Hire professional content writers to develop your website content. They have the experience and creativity needed to ensure your content is optimized for search engines as well as engaging for the user.
- Don’t use unnecessary gimmicks. For example, if you’re a beautician, you don’t need to have a weather module, events calendar or currency converter on your site.